There are many advantages to having a credit card such as being able to purchase items online and make hotel and car reservations. The way you handle your purchases should be taken seriously. Following are a few tips and suggestions about credit cards.
- Credit cards are just like a loan-you have to pay what you owe - so try and not overcharge more than you can afford to pay.
- Keep track of how much you spend on your credit card. Remember that incidental and impulse purchases add up fast.
- Save your credit card receipts. Compare them with your monthly bill. Promptly report problems to the company that issued the card.
- Never lend your credit cards to anyone.
- Owing more than you can repay can damage your credit rating. That can make it hard to finance a car, rent an apartment, get insurance or even get a job.
- Pay your credit card bill on time, and in full when possible. If you don't, you'll have to pay finance charges on the unpaid balance-and it takes forever to get caught up if you just pay the minimum.
Federal law limits your liability for unauthorized charges to $50 per card.